By Dr. Kaycee Reyes
Who has never tasted guava? This sweet tropical fruit originated in Central America, Mexico, and northern South America. It eventually became widespread and grown most especially in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. While nearly all of us Filipinos have tasted this delicious fruit, most may still be surprised about the great things that guava can do to our bodies—even for our skin! In fact, this superfruit is starting to get known for its amazing benefits such that western countries have begun cultivating them, too. So here is a lowdown on all the good things that guava gives. Read on.
Guava, also called Psidium guajava, is a fruit that belongs to more or less 150 species, the most common among them being the apple guava. In the Philippines, it is usually called as bagabas, bayabo, bayauas, biabas, gaiyabat, and guayabas, among others. It is generally sweet, and it has a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes, usually with thin green skin, apple- or pear-shaped, with pulp colors that can range from white (unripe), orange, or pink. Approximately the size of an apple, this fruit is from a plant that has a lifetime of 40 years. It is said that guavas are considered to be a superfruit because it contains more vitamins and minerals than what popular fruits can offer.
- four times more vitamin C than an orange
- three times more proteins and four times more fiber than a pineapple
- two times more lycopene than tomato
- has slightly more potassium than a banana
- other vitamins like vitamins E, K, and B6, niacin, folic acid, and minerals like magnesium, manganese, copper
Having said this, guavas have antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer properties, that can:
- boost immunity and protect your body from diseases
- protect your body from free radicals that can cause inflammation and disease
- prevent diabetes due to its low glycemic index and presence of fiber
- helps control blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- regulates bowel movements
- improve eye health
- ease a toothache
- control stress levels
- improves the body’s metabolism
- treat coughs and colds
- protect the health of an unborn child
What’s more, did you know that this mighty fruit also has superb benefits for the skin, too!
- It contains anti-aging properties like vitamin A, C, and antioxidants that can smoothen out fine lines and wrinkles
- It is great for wound healing
- It improves skin complexion with the presence of vitamin K that can help with discoloration, uneven skin tone, dark circles, and skin inflammation
- It can promote dental health as it is a good breath freshener and can treat mouth sores and swollen gums
- It can help with skin texture and may reduce pore size, as it has great astringent properties, too
- It can add extra protection from the sun due to its high lycopene levels
- It can also be effective in treating acne-causing bacteria for its antimicrobial properties
- It can improve hydration levels on the skin as the fruit contains 80 percent water
- It can fight hair loss due to the presence of vitamin C that promotes healthy hair
With all the good things that the guava can give, don’t you realize that it is an underrated fruit? Start loading up on guavas during your next supermarket run and you are sure to load up on your nutrition, too. If trying guava on the skin, test a small amount first before going all the way. Remember that since every skin is different, not everything organic or natural is still 100 percent safe to use. Take a precaution and consult a dermatologist before doing so to make sure that you are in the clear. Otherwise, you can still add guava to your diet and enjoy the multitude of benefits that this superfruit can provide. Truly, guava is a giving fruit!