Text and Images by Dom Galeon
1. Donna that was once Sophie. Shona White comes back to “Mamma Mia” this time as Donna Sheridan, after previously playing Sophie in earlier productions of the musical.
2. Sophie and Sky who are engaged in real life. Lucy Mae Barker, who plays Sophie, got engaged last June to Phillip Ryan, who plays Sky.
3. A performance so real it doesn’t feel staged at all. Everything about “Mamma Mia” feels authentic, like the actors were simply playing around, singing as you and I would when we’re with our friends by the beach or perhaps in some taverna on an island in Greece.
4. A crowd singing and dancing along. Of course, as much as you’d like to sing along during a performance, you won’t for fear of disturbing your seat mates. But, “Mamma Mia: The Musical” gives you a moment to let out all that pent up Abba energy during the finale.
5. A surprise performance after the finale. Speaking of finales, the musical has a bit of a surprise at the end, with the cast singing another Abba hit that isn’t part of the show’s repertoire. Just go and watch it at the Theater at Solaire to find out.
“Mamma Mia: The Musical” will run until Oct. 21.