By Jake Galvez
A healthy lifestyle doesn’t always mean that you have to be active and eat “diet” food. There are many components of a healthy lifestyle, like physical exercise, proper diet, personal hygiene, and avoiding vices, to name a few. They say the first step to achieving that healthy lifestyle is always the hardest, but once it becomes a habit then you’re already a step closer to achieving it.
You can have your own motivation in jumpstarting your goals. I, for one, focus on being healthy and fit, so I make it a habit to visit the nearest gym to workout. @heyitsmarcyoung asked about this on Instagram: Hi Jake, I always see you working out. Do you take supplements to lose or maintain weight?
Short answer is YES! But I don’t solely rely on them. You should take into account the kind of supplements that you feed your body. Here are some dos and don’ts when it comes to getting your supplement fix:
DO always check the label. Knowing what you put inside your body is important. The spectrum of supplements is broad, so always know what’s inside that bottle.
DON’T rely on just supplements. Getting nutrients straight from a pill sounds easy, but they shouldn’t replace a balanced meal.
DO your research first before taking any form of new supplements. You can easily check online whether a certain supplement will be good for you. But when in doubt, consult your doctor.
DON’T be cheap. You can be cheap when it comes to buying clothes, but don’t prioritize a low price of the supplement over the quality.
Where to get quality supplements? Well, General Nutrition Centers (GNC Philippines) has a premium assortment of health, wellness, and performance products, including sports nutrition supplements, weight-management supplements, vitamins, herbs and greens, wellness supplements, health and beauty, food and drink, and other general merchandise. This assortment features proprietary GNC and nationally recognized third-party brands that cater to every member of the family. Products include:
• Multis are scientifically formulated and clinically studied, and are lifestyle-, gender-, and age-specific. Containing up to 56 essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, herbs and other nutrients, Mega Men and Women’s Ultra Mega provide gradual release of nutrients for maximal absorption.
• Fish oil and omega products are manufactured to provide quality and purity. The Triple Strength Fish Oil contains the highest potency of EPA and DHA. The products undergo multiple purification processes to concentrate essential omega-3 fatty acids, while removing unwanted contaminants such as mercury, PCBs, dioxins, lead, and cadmium. The fish oil products are “enteric coated” to help reduce fishy burps.
• GNC’s proprietary line of probiotics has the most comprehensive and superior assortment. Probiotic Complex 25 has 16 unique strains, including clinically studied probiotics, for digestive and immune support. Guaranteed potency through expiration date, it is gluten- and lactose-free, and no refrigeration is needed.
• GNC carries a wide range of weight-management supplements, such as fat burners, meal replacements, and appetite control. A popular one is Burn 60, a clinically proven thermogenic formula that helps to enhance metabolism, burn calories, and boost energy levels. But remember that they work best with a healthy diet and exercise program.
• Nourish your hair, skin, and nails with the Women’s Hair, Skin & Nails Formula, which includes vitamin, A, B, C, E and biotin, which protects the body against free radical damage and restores skin elasticity.
• The anti-aging StemC is derived from the placenta of pure thoroughbred horses raised in Hokkaido under the most stringent quality standards and favorable environment. These horses are fed a specially tailored high-nutrition diet and are known for their power, speed, and strength. As placenta originating from pure thoroughbred horses is very rare, it can only be delivered in limited quantities.
• For sports nutrition products, try Pro Performance AMP Amplified Gold, Optimum Nutrition, and more. Choose from an extensive range of pre-workout, endurance, muscle-boosting, and post-workout recovery products to support your performance goals.
•The Milestones line offers products that cater to the nutritional needs of children of all ages to ensure healthy growth and development. Milestones Baby is for the newborn, Milestones Kids caters to ages two to 12, Milestones Teen is for ages 12 to 17.
For a complete list of outlets, go to gnc.com.ph